What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Friday, October 28, 2011

Pie Crust

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. + 1T. shortening
about 1/4 c. ice water

Recipe:
1. Combine flour and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add shortening in small cubes.
2. Cut in shortening until you get pieces that are about pea-sized.
3. Start sprinkling the ice water by about a tablespoon at a time over the flour/shortening mixture.
4. Very, very gently, turn the dough with your fingers so it gets exposed to the water. You're NOT mixing, just trying to moisten all of the flour/shortening mixture. Gradually, all of the flour mixture will be moistened. Gently pat the dough into a ball (it should come together easily but not be sticky).
5. Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until you're ready to use.
6. When you're ready to roll out your pie crust, lightly flour your work surface and place the dough ball on the surface. One of the keys in making pie crust is to handle the dough as little as possible. The less you touch it, the more tender and flaky it will be. Starting in the center, roll the dough out into a circle shape, about 1/8" thick. When you've reached your desired thickness, place the rolling pin in the middle and gently fold the crust over the rolling pin. Lift the dough onto your pie plate and unfold it.
7. Bake according to pie directions.

Rating: 4 of 5
I liked this recipe. I wasn't sweet, which I like in a pie crust, and it was pretty flaky. Easy enough to make!

Source: OurBestBites.com, Pie Crust

No comments:

Post a Comment