What have I cooked?

This blog is where I like to put to recipes that I have tried, know, and haven't tried. Sometimes I try so many new recipes that I can't remember if I've tried them and what they tasted like. Therefore, this blog documents my cooking adventures so that I can keep sane in the kitchen. (If it has a source, then I've linked back to it.)

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Crumb Peach Pie

Ingredients:
1 pie shell, baked at 400-degrees for 5 minutes (like Easy Oil Pastry or Pie Crust)
1 large can peaches, sliced *
2 T. cornstarch **
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. butter

* I just used two 15-oz cans, dumped all of the one can into a sauce pan, and then drained all the juice from the second can and tossed it.
** I actually didn't have cornstarch on hand, so I substituted it with Minute Tapioca. You can also substitute corn starch with flour, but have to double the amount, i.e. 1 T. cornstarch = 2 T. flour.

Recipe:
1. Heat the peaches in a pot and add cornstarch to thicken juices. Pour into prepared shell (only baked for 5 minutes previously).
2. Make crumb mixture by adding brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, flour, and butter. Use a pastry cutter or fork to combine and make into crumbs.
3. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the crumb mixture.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Rating: 4 of 5
I love this recipe. But, for whatever reason I can never get the crumb part on top to come out the way it should! It's probably because it's my Grandma's recipe and no matter how hard I try I never can cook as well as Grandma. I think there might be a secret cooking school that all grandmas go to once they "retire." Love the taste of the somewhat sweetened peaches with the topping together. And I love how easy this recipe it. No peeling or slicing peaches? All right! I can open a tin can and pour everything out. Piece of cake....or maybe I should say, piece of pie!

Source: Grandma Norton

No comments:

Post a Comment